National Outpatient Antibiotic Prescription Rate
185Prescriptions of penicillins per 1,000 population in 2018
US Census Region with Highest Outpatient Antibiotic Prescription Rate
Total Outpatient Antibiotic Prescriptions Dispensed
60.6MTotal prescriptions dispensed in 2018
Antibiotic Class Profile
Examples: penicillin, amoxicillin.
How they work: Penicillins kill bacteria by preventing formation of the bacterial cell wall.
- These data are from the IQVIA database and reflect all outpatient antibiotic prescriptions dispensed to humans from U.S. community pharmacies. These data do not include antibiotic prescriptions dispensed from federal facilities.
- Data reflect annual rates of antibiotic prescriptions dispensed per 1,000 population, i.e. the number of antibiotic prescriptions dispensed per year for every 1,000 persons. Annual rates allow for comparisons of the number of antibiotic prescriptions dispensed in different geographic areas or over time while controlling for differences in the size of the underlying population.
- Map legends are classified using the Jenks Natural Breaks method.
- Due to missing data, totals by age group and/or sex may not add up to all prescriptions. Antibiotic class defines a set of related antibiotics. State-level rates of penicillins, macrolides, cephalosporins, and fluoroquinolones are displayed. Also displayed are all antibiotic classes, which include these four classes plus additional classes not available for release at the state level.
- Data are not available for geographic regions smaller than states.